CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Computer Choice

Posted by codpilot
on 2003-11-18 21:33:16 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jcc3inc" <jccinc@o...>
wrote:
> Gentlemen:
> I am considering getting a newer computer to replace my 133 MHz
unit.
> I will use it for either a DOS based controller or a MachII which
> needs WinXP, I understand. A used unit around 500 MHz might be
OK!
> What kind of connectors do I need for the parallel port cards? Are
> ISA slots in the later models? Will I have any problems in using
PCI
> cards if I stick to DOS programs? And how much should I expect to
> pay? My present unit was $35 two years ago.
> I get by with Windows but certainly am no expert!
> Thanks,
> Jack C.

You can get cheap AMD or Intel machines that will do XP (I recommend
a min of 500 mhz with at least 256 of RAM - and really for the price
you should consider 1Ghz machines - pennies more)

Most newer machines now have only PCI slots in them. You can find
older socket 7 boards that will take ISA slots if you really need
them though.

Used machines (generally running Windows ME) of the pre 1G range,
can be as cheap as $50 if you hunt garage sales and goodwill, then
you need a copy of XP ($89 bucks at times or cheaper through a
University program - I got one free with tuition)

If you have someone with access to state/university surplus - you
can often get a decent machine (not fast, but acceptable) for free!

Good luck and happy hunting

Eric

Discussion Thread

jcc3inc 2003-11-18 17:55:34 UTC Computer Choice codpilot 2003-11-18 21:33:16 UTC Re: Computer Choice caudlet 2003-11-19 07:25:51 UTC Re: Computer Choice