CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PIC DRO

Bryan Mumford wrote:

> It seems like the problem will be how to couple to everyone's shafts.
> What would you use for a shaft encoder that would be somewhat
> universal? There may be no way to fit full size machines as well as
> tabletop machines. Also, a shaft encoder cannot manage the backlash,
> so your resolution will be no better than the current lash in the
> lead screw, right?

The best thing is to use helical-slitted aluminum shaft couplers.
These are one piece of aluminum, which has one or more helical
slits in it, which makes it into a kind of spring. The idea is that
it is flexible in the axial direction, and also to an angle from the
axis, but is very stiff in torsion. These can be easily bored up
on one side if there is a change in shaft size. I have gotten a
number of them from various machines, but they are also available
from most of the catalogs. W. M. Berg and Stock Drive
products have a vast selection of these types of items.

Charles VanLeeuwen 2000-04-03 19:42:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PIC DRO Jon Elson 2000-04-04 22:10:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PIC DRO Jon Elson 2000-04-05 13:07:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PIC DRO Jon Elson 2000-04-05 13:08:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PIC DRO Jon Elson 2000-04-05 16:13:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PIC DRO