CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: SV: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Buying old machines and praying

Marcus wrote:

>Jon, you are right on!!!
>I took a similar leap and I'm still at it.
>Mine is called "Marcus' Folly"...what's yours called??

Why, "Sheldon", of course! The 15" Sheldon lathe.

>There is no substitute for a powered up inspection unless you are buying
>brand new from a reputable source.
>I've done some excellent deals, but I've done some stinkers too.

I'm not unhappy, and I knew going in that there could be a lot of
repair work. I got this very high-end lathe for less than a $ a pound!
The really expensive mechanical stuff was all in great shape, just
the bed was worn. It took me longer to overhaul that I thought, as
I'd never done this before, and the bed was not hardened, but just plain
HARD, all the way through.

Marcus 2003-11-19 13:53:07 UTC Re: SV: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Buying old machines and praying Jon Elson 2003-11-19 21:39:58 UTC Re: SV: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Buying old machines and praying Vince Negrete 2003-11-20 05:36:59 UTC Re: SV: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Buying old machines and praying