CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 433

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-04-05 05:22:32 UTC
> From: "james owens" <wotisname@...>
>Subject: Re: PIC DRO

>Do you require a DRO or just a counter? If it is the latter then spending good money in doing
>the job for high accuracy is not the way to go. There are much cheaper ways to achieve what
>you require. If it is the former then a line has to be drawn because the PIC can only hold a
>limited amount of programming and it would make sense to me to go for the higest resolution
>that is practical using off the shelf parts that anyone can afford. I am not a programmer and
>this question should really be answered by the guy that is doing the thinking bits.

Im not quite sure what you mean here- the DRO sold by Shooting Star has
a PIC micro inside it and it does everything needed for a DRO. I dont
think a PC based DRO is very usefull- to much complication for a job
that can clearly be done in just a small box and a PIC. But maybe thats
because my shop is so small I could not get a PC monitor in by the mill.

Designing a DRO based on the US Digital linear encoders, with a simple
PIC in a box with an LED would be a very usefull project. I hate to
compete with Shooting Star, because they are VERY nice people, but I
have just never been moved by their rack and pinion scale.

ron

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-04-05 05:22:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 433