CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo boards are they all the same?

Keoki Christopher wrote:

>Can one basically connect and servo board up with the mach2 and not
>have a problem talking to the controller or are the allocations for
>control different for certain boards? In other words if I use xyz
>board and then replace it with an abc board will it still function
>the same? This is a question that has been perplexing me constantly
>and also the facts of going to servo or Stepper motors.I have so many
>conflicting stories on either side that I cant decide to go on the
>servo side which seems more powerful and faster and cheaper or going
>to the stepper side which seems more logical but not as
>efective...Help.....

If you mean a servo driver which accepts step and direction signals,
then they are all much the same. Gecko 320 and 340, and a number of the
Rutex drives are of this type. If you mean servo amps in general,
no. The old standard was a +/- 10 V signal to a velocity servo amplifier.
Copley Controls, Westamp, Servo Dynamics and others have many
amps of this type.

But, many newer servo amps accept commands on CanBus, devicenet,
and a host of proprietary control protocols. You have to know what
the control interface on these amps is, or you will be in trouble.

Keoki Christopher 2003-11-29 14:55:25 UTC servo boards are they all the same? Jon Elson 2003-11-29 22:27:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo boards are they all the same?