CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Watch finishes, by CNC

on 2003-12-01 10:03:33 UTC
Hi Chuck,

Pocketing routines can actually be pretty, I have them on the beam I
machined for my Baby Beam Engine. The beam is tapered at the ends, and
looks somewhat like an I-beam in cross section. Pockets on either side
reduce the cross section thickness. It uses a spiral to do pockets,
courtesy of Vector CAD/CAM. This would leave a minute pattern if you
used a small cutter, but would not give you the "engine finish" I
believe you are describing. To do this, I'd suggest programming a set
of points in the proper order to get the overlaping patterns. A drill
cycle (G81) with depth at the surface, and a little retract would create
the patterns, and the "connect at Z" command would order the moves of
the emery disk between points.

Now it comes to creating a set of points in spiral, concentric circles,
etc. patterns as you require. Perhaps Corral draw could aid here.
Although Vector or another CAD program can generate, rotate and
replicate sets of dots as well.

If you know the mathematical function that will generate points you
want, they can be input in CAD programs. Vector uses PLC to do this
(sorry, not familiar with other CAD program import functions).

HTH

Alan KM6VV