CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electric handwheel?

Posted by Kim Lux
on 2003-12-01 12:32:28 UTC
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:17, Graham Stabler wrote:
> Odd question, where do you mount the wheels?
>
> In conventional positions or together?
>
> Also do you add some sort of simple friction device to stop over
> spinning?

These are NOT "odd questions". I had the same questions when we put the
feedwheels on our machines. (We actually have them on 3 machines.)

On the lathe, we thought about mounting them on the carriage, but then
decided to mount them right where the screw cutting gearbox levers
*were*. (We removed the levers, although we left the gear box intact.)

This puts them on the headstock, right below the spindle gear selector
levers. The idea is that they are right by (actually to the left of)
the chuck for quick positioning of the tools when setting up tools,
parts, etc. Incidentally we mounted the monitor on top of the
headstock, at eye level when standing. The keyboard (sans mouse lately)
is right below the feedwheels. We find this positioning quite
convenient. Everything (monitor, keyboard and feedwheels) are right at
your disposal. *IF* we did a lot of work on long pieces (20"+) we might
find the controls too far from the middle of the lathe, but as we use it
right now, it works quite well.

BTW: Our neighbors have a commercial CNC lathe with the control on the
rightmost sliding door and only one feedwheel. They are not happy with
that arrangement.

On the mill, we've got the feedwheel mounted at the front, right below
where the manual Y axis feedwheel was. We've got a lip over the wheels
to prevent coolant from dripping on them.

We need to do more work on our enclosures. We've got issues with
coolant and metal chips flying everywhere.

Kim