CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Electric handwheel? Practice notes/thoughts...

Posted by alenz2002
on 2003-12-01 23:03:19 UTC
-
Kim,
Thank you very much for sharing your real world hands on knowledge
with us. I found it very informative.
Al Lenz

-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Kim Lux <lux@d...> wrote:
> I got so carried away on the positioning of the feedwheels that I
forgot
> to comment on the use of detents and friction devices. I actually
think
> the gist of this question is about how to quickly and easily
manually
> machine one off parts with a CNC machine, so I'll go into some
detail on
> that.
>
> Believe it or not, the knobs (or dials for feedwheels themselves)
caused
> us a considerable amount of anguish. We started out machining (on
the
> CNC lathe of course...) nice big beautiful 3.5 inch feedwheels to
mount
> on the encoders. Although they had a nice tactile feel, they had
too
> much (or just the right amount) of inertia. They don't stop
> immediately... they feel a lot different than a manual lathe
feedwheel,
> for example. The thing that takes some getting used to is the sheer
> mechanical advantage that one has with electronic feedwheels. Case
in
> point, when setting up insert based lathe tools to touch, you can
> literally crush the insert without straining your pinkie. Add a
> feedwheel with inertia to the mix and it feels weird. Having said
that,
> we've still got a steel feedwheel on the X axis of the lathe.
>
> The encoders themselves have some drag, but not much. We are now
using
> a light plastic 2.5" "finger dial" we found in McMasterCarr. They
are
> liked by most everyone that runs the equipment. Inexpensive too.
>
> When we first put on the encoders, we thought that we are going to
> like/need detents or some friction device. We've found that isn't
> necessary. When you run feedwheel encoders, the wheels are only
> functioning in jog mode (and in single step run mode with my TCNC3
> mods...). Thus, you don't have to worry about bumping them during
> production "automatic" runs or during MDI command operation.
> Furthermore, they have enough friction that they don't move by
> themselves.
>
> I thought we'd need graduated wheels too. In practice this is
totally
> unnecessary. If one wants to move a precise amount, say 0.010", one
> will generally set the resolution of the feedwheel to something
sane,
> like 0.001" per graduation and then just watch the CNC controller
> software until the right dimension is reached. Graduations/detents
> aren't needed and probably won't be missed.
>
> Truthfully, the thing that feedwheels are used the most for is tool
and
> workpiece setup and they are indispensable for that purpose. I
find it
> very slow to zero workpieces and tools with code commands especially
> when one is trying to touch off an edge, diameter, etc. As far as
> saying that you will machine a surface (or diameter) via the
feedwheels,
> I don't think you will. ***IF*** you have a good single
step/jog/MDI
> user interface, you'll issue a g1 z-2 f6 before you will stand
there and
> turn the feedwheel for 20 seconds. Once you learn Gcode, it just
> becomes second nature to issue a command and let the machine do it.
> Ditto for using the mill. In spite of having the quill available
for
> drilling, I rarely drill holes manually or with the Z axis
feedwheel.
> All our holes are drilled with:
>
> g98 r0.25 ; set the Z retract height
> g78 z-1 i-0.1 f1 P200 #1000 ; stop for a second above the work
>
> BTW: we've implemented symbols in our version of TCNC. Ie we can
issue
> the following on the commandline in *jog* mode:
>
> %hole1 = x1 y1
>
> This sets the symbol %hole1 to equal "X1 Y1" in any Gcode command.
This
> [...]
and the
> machine goes to hole 1.
>
> The other thing that is very handy is to have HISTORY, ie whenever
you
> type in a command, it is available for re use via a scrolling
history on
> the MDI command. Thus, my sequence for drilling and tapping 4
holes is:

> a) enter the hole locations:
> %h1 = x1 y1
> %h2 = x3 y1
> %h3 = x3 y3
> %h3 = x1 y3
>
> b) move to the first hole
> g0 %h1
>
> c) put in the center drill and set Z0. I usually let the bit rest
on
> the work and tighten the quill lock.
>
> d) Issue a simple drill command:
> g98 z0.25 ; set the Z axis retract height.
>

> Why use G78 when I only need a G1 for such a simple hole ? Two
reasons:
> a) it handles retracting the bit away from the work automatically,
so I
> don't have to type in G0 z0.25 after every hole and b) we are going
> reuse the command later.
>
> To drill all the rest of the holes, bring up the MDI, cursor to G0 %
h1
> and edit the line to read G0 %h2, %$h3, etc. This will also save
them
> all to history... Don't forget to G0 Z0 to get the bit to the
starting
> point, although it will drill the hole if you don't... you'll just
be
> waiting while it drills the first 0.25" of air !
>
> e) Now that all the center holes are drilled, drill the real holes.
> First go to hole 1. DON'T type in G0 %h1, because it is already in
> history... be lazy and cursor up to the command and then run it.
>
> To actually drill the hole, bring up the G78 command we already
have in
> history and edit it to be the real hole command:
>
> g78 z-1 i-0.1 f0.5 p200 #1000
>
> Run it to drill the first hole. Bring up G0 %h2 to drill the second
> hole, G%h3.. G%h4 for the fourth hole.
>
> I find that I use my time while the machine is running to get
tooling
> ready for the next operation, to measure things, check my drawings,
> etc. Also: we've got a VFD on the mill and TCNC have variable
feedrate
> control, so I usually adjust the two so that the drill is running
just a
> bit faster than what produces a continuous chip... continuous chips
> fling coolant all around and make a mess.
>
> f) Now we need to tap or holes, using a center point in the collet
> center our tap. I change to the center point, reset Z to something
that
> works with the tap (either via the feedwheels or via a G0 Z1
command...)
> and go to work tapping the holes. The quill is free (ie not CNC'd)
on
> our mill, so I just leave it loose to keep the tap centered. I use
> CURSORS and the commands in history (ie G0 %h1...) to move around
to the
> holes.
>
> I find this method of drilling holes faster than sitting down with
a CAD
> system, faster than manually writing a GCode file, faster than
using a
> mill with a DRO and about 5x faster than using a mill without a
> DRO.
>
> Of course we'll be replacing the manual tapping with rigid tapping
in
> the near future.
>
> We use similar routines/procedures on the lathe.
>
> We've written a bunch of non standard canned cycles so that things
like
> hellical milling, thread milling, tapers, threading, slot milling,
> surfacing, etc. are all single commands. Our machining
productivity has
> improved 5x over using a manual machine.
>
> The other secret to manually machining a part is to start with a
> dimensioned drawing. It doesn't have to be CAD quality. We keep
these
> drawings for every part we make. I usually write the commands that
> use for making the part on another sheet and staple them together
so I
> can make another one someday. We've got files of part drawings and
> Gcode commands all ready to make another one someday.
>
> About the only thing we write GCode files for are production parts
or
> parts made in quantities of more than 2 or 3.
>
> Our version of TCNC allows us to add commands to the partfile we are
> running as it is being run. If we are making up a part "on the
fly" I
> open up a dummy part file with the headers, etc in in and start
adding
> commands and then editing/running them. By the time I've got my
part
> made I've also got my partfile done. I still find it faster to
write
> the part file first and then run/edit/refine it. There is something
> unnerving about writing a partfile with the chuck spinning the part
at
> 2000 RPM... although we can start and stop the chuck at will while
> single stepping through part files.
>
> About the only thing I machine manually via the feedwheels is
sometimes
> I will face a piece in the lathe, on one offs, I will knock the
corners
> down and I will sometimes feed the center drill (mounted on the
cross
> slide of course.) I do everything else via Gcode from an MDI
command on
> our modified jog screen. I use the feedwheels extensively during
> setup.
>
> I ask those that have criticized my contributions back to this
group to
> consider the length and depth of the emails I wrote today.
>
> Kim
>

> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 13:32, Kim Lux wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:17, Graham Stabler wrote:
> > > Odd question, where do you mount the wheels?
> > >
> > > In conventional positions or together?
> > >
> > > Also do you add some sort of simple friction device to stop
over
> > > spinning?
> >
> > These are NOT "odd questions". I had the same questions when we
put the
> > feedwheels on our machines. (We actually have them on 3
machines.)

> > On the lathe, we thought about mounting them on the carriage, but
then
> > decided to mount them right where the screw cutting gearbox levers
> > *were*. (We removed the levers, although we left the gear box
intact.)

> > This puts them on the headstock, right below the spindle gear
selector
> > levers. The idea is that they are right by (actually to the left
of)
> > the chuck for quick positioning of the tools when setting up
tools,
> > parts, etc. Incidentally we mounted the monitor on top of the
> > headstock, at eye level when standing. The keyboard (sans mouse
lately)
> > is right below the feedwheels. We find this positioning quite
> > convenient. Everything (monitor, keyboard and feedwheels) are
right at
> > your disposal. *IF* we did a lot of work on long pieces (20"+)
we might

wanliker@a..., timg@k...
> > > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
> > >
> > > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.
> > > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members
are there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> > > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> --
> Kim Lux <lux@d...>

Discussion Thread

irfan_younis 2003-12-01 04:28:49 UTC Electric handwheel? Kim Lux 2003-12-01 07:27:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Electric handwheel? Jon Elson 2003-12-01 09:44:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Electric handwheel? Kim Lux 2003-12-01 09:50:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Electric handwheel? Graham Stabler 2003-12-01 11:18:01 UTC Re: Electric handwheel? Kim Lux 2003-12-01 12:32:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electric handwheel? Kim Lux 2003-12-01 14:10:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electric handwheel? Practice notes/thoughts... alenz2002 2003-12-01 23:03:19 UTC Re: Electric handwheel? Practice notes/thoughts...