CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: newbie.

on 2003-12-05 21:24:51 UTC
A $25 parallel port addin card will save most back to the PC problems
with little hastle, as far as the motors they are steppers, so they
naturally run hot. Get a few socket 370 CPU heatsinks, with or
without the fan and put one (maybe 2 without fans) on each stepper.

When you do the checkout of your machine, note how everything sounds
and "feels" when everything is working fine, note how hot the
steppers get in normal operation, that way you'll just be able to
feel a stepper to know if you've gonna cook somthing.

Most of it falls to common sense and a get out there and do it
approach, you've come this far don't get scared when it's time to
power up. Have faith in your efforts.

Thanks
Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeff_thorsgaard"
<Thorsgaard_Foundry@h...> wrote:
> Here is my first question.
> I have built the "Morph", which is like a 3 axis plotter with a
> rotzip, in place of a pen, simply put.. a very light-duty machine.
> am to the stage of wiring everything up to the power supply, and
> controller.
>
> My question is: What precautions should I take to make sure
> something doesn't harm the controller, or motors, or computer that
I'm
> using to run it? I've read quite a few articles on how someone has
> "toasted" their IC's doing one thing or another wrong. I can't
afford
> toasted IC's.
>
> It's a broad question, I know, but I am trying to cull from the
> people who KNOW, and I wouldn't even BEGIN to know what to search
for
> in the archives?
> Thank You.
> -Jeff Thorsgaard
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <ka1bbg@w...> wrote:
> > Hi, welcome to the group. a question not asked is never answered.
> there is
> > quite a bit of "high level stuff" going on here, also many good
> answers from
> > those who have" been there and done that" cul brian f.

Discussion Thread

jeff_thorsgaard 2003-12-03 22:21:58 UTC newbie. asi 2003-12-04 05:11:17 UTC Re: newbie. Brian 2003-12-04 06:33:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] newbie. jeff_thorsgaard 2003-12-04 20:05:03 UTC Re: newbie. John Delaney 2003-12-04 22:11:44 UTC Re: newbie. Harvey White 2003-12-05 07:46:49 UTC Re: [cad-cam] [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: newbie. industrialhobbies 2003-12-05 21:24:51 UTC Re: newbie.