CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2003-12-07 17:24:11 UTC
From: "Neil" <njackso@...>
Subject: DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D

Good evening all,
For starters, Thank you for being here.

I'm running a small engraving/carving machine. Controller is from
http://www.stepper3.com/33.htm. I'm using Kcam-4 with this controller
and Kcam seems to handle most DXF conversions with minimal hand work.
I.E. rewriting g-code. I'm also looking at a program called
DeskProto. Rather pricy for me right now. I have Rhino3D and Autocad.
And was wondering if it may be easier to just simply draw tool paths
myself for objects created? What do the more experienced people do?

TIA.
Neil

[If your objects are simple, this can work. And certainly there are many
machinists/CNC operators who can hand-code fairly complex parts with
excellent results. But if you're talking about artistic 3d carving, then it
really helps to have something that can automatically convert the 3d model
you create in Rhino into toolpaths the carving/engraving machine can follow.
Remember, the machine has no idea you made a typo, when you wrote "100"
instead of "1.00" - the results can be spectacularly bad, though. If you
need 4-axis toolpaths that work smoothly, and a simple routine for making
accurately registered two-sided parts, then DeskProto 3.0 is a solid
solution, and quite reasonably priced for what it does. There is also a
"Light" version which costs considerably less, although it lacks DP3.0's
4th-axis strategies, among other things.

If you have a 3-axis mill and no money and you want something very basic for
free, try Freemill: www.cncportal.com from Mecsoft. It will make a rastering
toolpath from an STL file and output it as G-code, but you might have to do
some tinkering to get them to work for your application. If you're willing
to part with some cash, Mecsoft also offers a "Basic" 3-axis version of its
much more expensive VisualMill 5-axis software that has many more features
than Freemill, including engraving, drilling, and 2.5d pocketing. Other
programs you might consider in the sub-grand price-range are STLWork for 3d
carving, including "waterline" toolpaths, and Rams for 3d carving, drilling
and 2d engraving.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
Reseller of some of the above programs (at substantial discounts)

Discussion Thread

Neil 2003-12-06 15:46:11 UTC DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D robgrzesek 2003-12-06 20:02:12 UTC Re: DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D Neil 2003-12-07 04:15:05 UTC Re: DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D Fred Smith 2003-12-07 10:44:04 UTC Re: DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D Andrew Werby 2003-12-07 17:24:11 UTC DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D junebrandy 2003-12-08 10:07:34 UTC Re: DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D Fred Smith 2003-12-08 17:27:41 UTC Re: DXF to G-code vs hand made toolpaths in CAD/Rhino3D