CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Speed control

on 2003-12-10 18:57:32 UTC
Jack Hoffa wrote:

>I have a 5HP rotary phase converter running my lathe (3HP) and Mill
>(2HP). I am upgrading both to CNC. How do I control the spindle
> speed-? VHD ? 2 VHD's ??

I have VFDs on both my mills and on my lathe. All three are different
brands. Each can be computer controlled or manually controlled. So you
can control the spindle speed with a VFD but, more importantly, it is a
matter of finding the proper CAM program that will do the job. I think
the question you should be asking relates to software spindle control
via CAM software packages.. The VFD can operate like a stepper driver
board (to some extent) but won't give you positioning data that you
might need on a lathe spindle for threading. In any case, computer
controlled or not, a VFD is a lot better than a rotary phase converter
since you will have manual speed control if nothing else.

JerryK

Discussion Thread

Jack Hoffa 2003-12-10 18:37:01 UTC Speed control Jerry Kimberlin 2003-12-10 18:57:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Speed control george_barr 2004-01-06 00:46:03 UTC Re: Speed control