CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motors & encoders connection

Mina Aboul Saad wrote:

>So, I got the breakout board, the Geckos 320 and the power supply is almost
>done.
>
>Now, it's time to start wiring, I found out that my servo motors have 4 pin
>connection, how do I know which of the 4 wires is the Arm+ and Arm- to be
>connected to the geckos, or does this mean that my motors are double
>winding??

There is no "double winding" on DC brush motors. It is common for these
to use 2 wires and 2 connector pins for each connection to the motor.
Especially
on 4-pole DC motors, which have 4 brushes. In that arrangement,
diametrically
opposite brushes are connected together at some point, giving you only two
wires to work with. If the motor is wired this way, you may have to pull
the brushes and use an ohmmeter to figure out which wires are to be
connected
together.

>Regarding the encoders, they carry 17 pin connector, is there a way to know
>which wires for phase A and B, and also the +5V and the ground???
>Is there some kind of standard for wire colors???

No, there isn't. If you can get info from the manufacturer, that is
best. If not,
you may have to (VERY carefully) open up the encoder cover to trace the
power wires. Usually there will be a capacitor directly across the power
wires. If you are lucky, the capacitor will be an electrolytic with
polarity
marked on it. Sometimes the circuit board will have a + marked for the
power polarity. Once you have the power figured out, you can figure
the rest with an oscilloscope on the signal wires. 17 is a lot of wires.
I hope this is not really a brushless motor, which requires a few extra
encoder wires to control motor commutation. Tht could account for about
11 wires. A plain differential encoder with index would only need
8 wires.

Mina Aboul Saad 2003-12-13 03:07:28 UTC Motors & encoders connection Jon Elson 2003-12-13 20:45:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motors & encoders connection mina_aboulsaad 2003-12-14 02:47:17 UTC Re: Motors & encoders connection