CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Motors & encoders connection

on 2003-12-14 02:47:17 UTC
Thanks Jon, that's exactly what I needed to know.
I guess I'll start looking for new encoders instantly.

Mina F.
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> Mina Aboul Saad wrote:
>
> >So, I got the breakout board, the Geckos 320 and the power supply
is almost
> >done.
> >
> >Now, it's time to start wiring, I found out that my servo motors
have 4 pin
> >connection, how do I know which of the 4 wires is the Arm+ and
Arm- to be
> >connected to the geckos, or does this mean that my motors are
double
> >winding??
> >

> There is no "double winding" on DC brush motors. It is common for
these
> to use 2 wires and 2 connector pins for each connection to the
motor.
> Especially
> on 4-pole DC motors, which have 4 brushes. In that arrangement,
> diametrically
> opposite brushes are connected together at some point, giving you
only two
> wires to work with. If the motor is wired this way, you may have
to pull
> the brushes and use an ohmmeter to figure out which wires are to
be
> connected
> together.
>
> >Regarding the encoders, they carry 17 pin connector, is there a
way to know
> >which wires for phase A and B, and also the +5V and the ground???
> >Is there some kind of standard for wire colors???
> >

> No, there isn't. If you can get info from the manufacturer, that
is
> best. If not,
> you may have to (VERY carefully) open up the encoder cover to
trace the
> power wires. Usually there will be a capacitor directly across
the power
> wires. If you are lucky, the capacitor will be an electrolytic
with
> polarity
> marked on it. Sometimes the circuit board will have a + marked
for the
> power polarity. Once you have the power figured out, you can
figure
> the rest with an oscilloscope on the signal wires. 17 is a lot of
wires.
> I hope this is not really a brushless motor, which requires a few
extra
> encoder wires to control motor commutation. Tht could account for
about
> 11 wires. A plain differential encoder with index would only need
> 8 wires.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Mina Aboul Saad 2003-12-13 03:07:28 UTC Motors & encoders connection Jon Elson 2003-12-13 20:45:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motors & encoders connection mina_aboulsaad 2003-12-14 02:47:17 UTC Re: Motors & encoders connection