CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie question: determining Stepper Motor Specs

Posted by John Johnson
on 2003-12-16 14:40:09 UTC
Find two (coil wires) that show a low resistance. That will be the same
for all coils.
Come to think of it, if you're using Geckos, you don't need to know the
motor resistance,
since you use a resistor to set the current on the drive according to a
legend printed
on the drive.

If I'm not mistaken, you get the best performance running two coils and
leaving the other two unconnected (it's called half coil). You can find
the correct two coils to use by experimentation. Just ohm all the wires
out and keep the pairs of wires together. Connect one pair, then pick a
pair and connect those, if that doesn't work, pick another pair to use
as the second pair. Of course you /always/ power down when connecting
of disconnecting a motor.

Power supply voltage can be anything up to the max for the Geckos. See
their website for advice.

Regards,
JJ