CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Sieg X3 CNC Conversions Done??

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2003-12-19 11:48:17 UTC
Message: 10
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:28:18 -0000
From: merakulous@...
Subject: Sieg X3 CNC Conversions Done??

Hi, new to the group and to CNC machines in general. I have a
manual 8x14 lathe and want to expand my capabilities with a good
small to mid-size mill, without spending more than $2k-$3k. I like
the idea of CNC, but am concerned about the smaller mill's
capacities. I'd mostly work with aluminum and sometimes steel for
use in making brackets, pulleys, etc. for racing go karts and some
small car parts. I'm patient so if light cuts are needed, that's
ok. X-Y travel distances of 12"x6" are big enough, but I wouldn't
want to have much less than that.

[Have you looked at the Taig CNC mills? The LE series is in your price
range, and about the size you indicate (travels of 12"X, 5.5" Y, 6" Z). They
will cut aluminum and steel if you take it somewhat easy (compared to a
full-sized knee mill). Of all the "desktop" mills in this range, they are
the most robust; and are made in the US to high quality standards. ]

So I'm looking for advice on the best approach - The Sieg X3 seems
to have pleny of capacity for my projects, but obviously is not "CNC
Ready". For anyone who knows the X3 machine, can you tell me what
would be involved, how difficult, and approx how much $ it would
take to do a CNC conversion on the X3. Otherwise, I'd appreciate
any advice on suitable alternatives.

Thanks,
David Anderson

[I guess it depends on whether you're looking for a machine for doing your
projects, or another project...]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Discussion Thread

merakulous@y... 2003-12-18 11:05:32 UTC Sieg X3 CNC Conversions Done?? R White 2003-12-18 18:17:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sieg X3 CNC Conversions Done?? Andrew Werby 2003-12-19 11:48:17 UTC Re: Sieg X3 CNC Conversions Done??