CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC?

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2003-12-19 22:03:10 UTC
On Saturday 20 December 2003 00:05, another_roger wrote:
> I have a Bridgeport with an Anilam Crusader II controller and am
> interested in replacing it with a PC based control.
>
> It has servos with tachometer feedback and drives so that a +/- 10V
> signal controls the velocity and direction of the servo motor. For
> position feedback, it uses linear encoders mounted directly to the
> axis.

I hope there is no backlash (or flexability) between the motor shaft, drive
belts, leadscrews (ballscrews I hope), nuts, and mounting hardware. I suspect
that if your present setup worked that you are OK in this respect.

> What I think I need is a PC, a STG2 card, and connectors to interface
> the existing drives & encoders to the STG board.

You may also need some solid state relays like Opto22 or Grayhill makes to
interface the PC's digital I/O to your spindle & coolant relays.

> The main thing I
> need is enough confidence that I'll be able to get EMC configured and
> running to spend ~$1000+ for this upgrade.
>
> Has anyone here set up a similar system? How difficult will it be to
> get the software configured properly? (I have done small programs in
> many different computer languages and have the electrical
> capabilities necessary, I'm just not very experienced with Linux.)

Well, it can be done because I have done four of them so far. I have replaced
two Bridgeport E3 controls, a Sharnoa control on a Wells-Index and a Delta 10
(or 20, I forget) on a Kondia.

If you unbelt the servos and your spindle forward/reverse relays are
mechanically interlocked (probably), then there's little harm you can do
while experimenting with getting the emc.ini file configured for your
machine. That said, it can be somewhat vexing to get all the numerous
parameters correct. I'd plan on it taking you at least a few hours, maybe a
day (for the configuration part, the retrofitting part can take seemingly
forever... There are a LOT of wires, although your situation is eased
considerably since you already have a power supply and amps already wired. If
you're lucky and have a schematic of what's there, you may be able to do the
wiring in a week of spare time).

Here's a web page for you:

http://users.erols.com/mshaver/v2e3.htm

> Thanks!

Good Luck!

Matt

P.S. If you live near Baltimore, I can come take a look.

Discussion Thread

another_roger 2003-12-19 21:33:54 UTC Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? Matt Shaver 2003-12-19 22:03:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? another_roger 2003-12-20 07:49:53 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? Jon Elson 2003-12-20 13:44:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? another_roger 2003-12-22 07:43:58 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? jim_clamp_it 2003-12-23 05:06:52 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice Ray Henry 2003-12-23 08:47:11 UTC Re: Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice Jon Elson 2003-12-23 11:07:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice jim_clamp_it 2003-12-24 02:59:43 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice Ray Henry 2003-12-24 08:56:28 UTC Re: Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice