CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice

Posted by jim_clamp_it
on 2003-12-24 02:59:43 UTC
Ray Henry <rehenry@u...> wrote:
> The biggest stumble with Linux is trying to gather it all up and
compile
> it for yourself. A BDI download or disk is much easier. I'd use
an HD
> install of the Live disk with your laptop. I've got a draft of
a "Howto"
> that should be available soon. You could also work from a CD boot
if we
> customized the Live disk for your machine's parameters. The CD
boot
> would not affect your hard drive or current install at all.
>
> For the Rutex drive that you've got there, the EMC's parport driver
is
> enough. The 8-9 hundred that you mention would be needed for a
full
> servo system but that is not what you've built up with the Rutex.
Don't
> get me wrong, Rutex builds nice products but this is not a full
servo
> system, rather it is a step-and-direction, open loop setup.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ray

Hi Ray,

I'd love to try BDI and would like to know when you have the "How TO"
ready to read. To be honest, I didn't have a clue what the BDI was. I
think BDI stands for Brainless Download Install. If so, I'm 100%
qualified. I found "http://www.linuxcnc.org/bdi/" and I'm still
checking it out. I do like the FAQ:

Q. Will it run under Windows 95/98 ?

A. No. The install will remove the Microsoft virusTM for you.

That cracks me up,,, LOL
I'll dig up another PC with a clean HD. Think it said 133Mhz or
faster, I have a PIII 1gig that I can use. It has no onboard graphics.

Yes, The compiling, configuring, *.ini editing, ect, ect,ect. was a
drag to me whith RedHat 5.2. It took days to get everything
downloaded at 24K. Once I had the IMG's, I went and bought it in the
box from a store. I can sit and read through all the docs and
finally figure things out but, I always seem to slack and take an
easier route.

I see different versions of BDI and a link to PDF docs on the site.
I'll do some reading so I don't ask questions that are allready
answered. Like what is BDI-TNG? 4.2gig HD space? A CD boot!, why not
tennis shoes or penny loafers? (just kidding)

About the "servo to go" cards. What kind of performance and other
advantages are there over the "LPT/Rutex" setup?

Thanks,
Jim Montgomery
SW Missouri

Discussion Thread

another_roger 2003-12-19 21:33:54 UTC Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? Matt Shaver 2003-12-19 22:03:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? another_roger 2003-12-20 07:49:53 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? Jon Elson 2003-12-20 13:44:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? another_roger 2003-12-22 07:43:58 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? jim_clamp_it 2003-12-23 05:06:52 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice Ray Henry 2003-12-23 08:47:11 UTC Re: Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice Jon Elson 2003-12-23 11:07:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice jim_clamp_it 2003-12-24 02:59:43 UTC Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice Ray Henry 2003-12-24 08:56:28 UTC Re: Re: Replacing Anilam Controller with EMC? / Another Choice