CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question

Posted by RichD
on 2003-12-28 10:50:20 UTC
Jeff,
in my latest stepper driver box (xylotex), I use a small PC type
relay connected to the transformer ac sec thru its own small bridge rect.
The contacts NC side connect a 100 ohm res from gnd to the PS cap +.
When the AC is cut off, the relay drops and discharges the cap in a few
seconds. The extras BR isolates the relay from the big cap.
An LED is tied to the 5V reg supply as a monitor.
Works very well, especially when you need to be swapping motor cables around.
The TC with 100 ohms/30K mF is so short that a 3W ww resistor will do fine.
RichD

washcomp wrote:
snip>
> 1) My power supplies have bleeding resistors across the
> capacitors. I was thinking of relocating the bleed resistor to a
> N.C. set of contacts on the "stepper enable" relay with the other
> side of contact going to ground. This would put the resistor between
> the positive terminal of the capacitor and ground (negative of
> capacitor already connected to ground) when the power supply is de-
> energized and resistor would be ignored when power supply is working.
>
> Is this a good or a bad idea? (if bad, why not)
>snip>
Thanks for the advice,
> Jeff

Discussion Thread

washcomp 2003-12-28 06:14:43 UTC Power supply and E-Stop question Jon Elson 2003-12-28 09:35:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question Jeff Goldberg 2003-12-28 10:16:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question RichD 2003-12-28 10:50:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question Jon Elson 2003-12-28 20:56:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question