CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question

Jeff Goldberg wrote:

>Jon:
>
>My stepper drives (API CMD-260's) have a logic level Enable/No power
>pin. The documentation on its use is real sketchy. I was wondering
>if/how I could use this to disable the steppers in an E-Stop
>condition? Currently I am cutting the A.C. side to the stepper drive
>power supply with a relay, but I suspect the capacitors in the power
>supply are putting out residual voltage. You warned against
>cutting the D.C. side instead because throwing the drives back on- line
>would cause a current surge.

Yup, that is a problem. The circuit I referred to solves this, but it
is not simple.
I really had to do this, as I have pretty strong servos driving a Bridgeport
machine, and a quick and sure E-stop is absolutely necessary. I can say it
works, and when I did have runaways during the development, the table would
only get about 1/4" before the estop brought it to rest.

washcomp 2003-12-28 06:14:43 UTC Power supply and E-Stop question Jon Elson 2003-12-28 09:35:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question Jeff Goldberg 2003-12-28 10:16:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question RichD 2003-12-28 10:50:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question Jon Elson 2003-12-28 20:56:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power supply and E-Stop question