CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RE: stepper driver-transformer sizing question

on 2004-01-01 11:28:54 UTC
Couple of comments:

1) Backdriving a stepper with its windings shorted is the reverse of
having a stepper delivering mechanical power to a load while being
driven by a drive. The motor is a bi-directional transducer that
converts electrical power into mechanical power and visa versa.

2) The motor does not "suck up lots of shaft power when you turn them
slowly"; the torque is high exactly because the RPM is low. A step
motor is a constant power trasducer. This means the product of torque
and RPM stays constant. As you turn it faster, the torque required to
turn it drops because the absorbed power (converted to electrical
power and dissipated in the winding resistance) stays constant.

3) You can try to measure the AC RMS input power to supply but that
is going to a lot of unecessary trouble. You can safely assume an
unregulated supply has a very high efficiency (>95%) and that
efficiency is relatively constant. Simply measure the DC amps from
the supply and multiply it by the DC voltage to get the Watts
supplied to the load. It will be a very close approximation of the AC
power drawn.

4) Assume the power a step motor can deliver to a load at a given
supply voltage is constant when the motor is operating past
the "knee" of its speed-torque curve. Safely assume the motor has a
certain conversion efficiency. The conclusion is the current drawn
from the supply will be independent of speed at a stall load (motor
delivers 100% of its available power just before stalling).

You can empirically test this hypothesis by stalling your motor at a
variety of speeds while noting the supply current at the moment of
stall. The current will be the same in every case past the knee speed.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Jackson" <greg@t...>
wrote:
> I did not record the speed, but it was more a problem with the load
than
> with the speed/torque profile. I was using stepper motors with
shorted
> windings as the load. If you short the windings of a stepper motor
you will
> find they can suck up lots of shaft power when you turn them slowly
because
> they will pump lots of current through the internal resistance. If
you turn
> them fast you will get the equivalent of "missed steps" and they are
> actually easier to turn at higher speeds.
>
> The speed/torque profile of any stepper is flat until the current
starts to
> get limited by the inductance, and then it slopes down. Max
theoretical
> power is close to the knee. The speed/power profile ramps up from
the start
> but then turns down or goes flat at the knee. Of course power is
speed x
> torque. Before the knee, power is low because speed is low; after
the knee,
> power is low because available torque is low.
>
> I think that practical sizing of the power supply ends up much
smaller than
> prevailing wisdom because it is impractical to use steppers
anywhere near
> their power delivery capacity. Everybody knows that the torque
demands you
> place on a stepper should be a really long way from the holding
torque. The
> peak holding torque is really the failure point, since a missed
step is
> functionally a failure. If you run a system with torque demands
which are
> 50% below the holding torque, then your power supply will only need
50% of
> the theoretical power. Sizing a transformer like that would be
risky if the
> load of the system were viscous in nature, like stirring paint with
a paddle
> wheel, since the whole system would crash when the power demands
exceeded
> the delivery capacity of the transformer. However, the load of
most of our
> systems is usually not viscous, but more subject to short term
peaks from
> accelerations or impact forces. For those types of short term
loads the
> capacitor, not the transformer, are the key to carrying the system
through
> without loss of steps.
>
> In other words, size the transformer for actual RMS power but size
the
> capacitor for peak torque demands.
>
> It would be very interesting if some others would hang a clamp on
current
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Scott Riddle 2003-12-30 22:36:39 UTC stepper driver-transformer sizing question Robin Szemeti 2003-12-31 04:41:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper driver-transformer sizing question turbulatordude 2003-12-31 05:09:25 UTC Re: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Scott Riddle 2003-12-31 07:11:27 UTC Re: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Greg Jackson 2003-12-31 07:34:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper driver-transformer sizing question Les Newell 2003-12-31 08:28:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper driver-transformer sizing question Robin Szemeti 2003-12-31 09:01:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper driver-transformer sizing question Greg Jackson 2003-12-31 10:14:25 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper driver-transformer sizing question Robin Szemeti 2003-12-31 10:17:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Les Newell 2003-12-31 19:04:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper driver-transformer sizing question Ray Henry 2004-01-01 09:28:19 UTC Re: RE: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Greg Jackson 2004-01-01 10:21:00 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RE: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Mariss Freimanis 2004-01-01 11:28:54 UTC Re: RE: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Greg Jackson 2004-01-01 14:34:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RE: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Mariss Freimanis 2004-01-01 15:33:48 UTC Re: RE: stepper driver-transformer sizing question Larry 2004-01-01 16:05:04 UTC Re: egg plotter