CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RE: stepper driver-transformer sizing question

Posted by Greg Jackson
on 2004-01-01 14:34:19 UTC
Regarding item 2, I do not see this in practice. I suspect this is based on
the motor theory for normal operation, where the rotor poles do not pass
over a zero vector with the stator. If you stall a motor while the field is
spinning rapidly there is very little torque developed as the coils are
pushing forward 50% of the time and pushing backward 50% of the time.
Similarly, if you spin the rotor while the field is basically stationary,
there is very little torque required. Once I got to a certain speed I found
the load torque went almost to zero, much like it does when a motor is
stalled. This was a very discrete transition point.

Regarding item 3, I think it is more practical to measure current while it's
still in AC form. I have a cheap AC clamp meter which is easy to use to
measure current. I also have a very expensive Tektronics DC clamp meter but
it's on the fritz and it will probably cost $1000 to get it fixed. Hall
effects are difficult to calibrate, precision shunts to measure volt drop
are not common, and I suspect bad things would happen if you used a
resistance much more than a shunt. When my Tek clamp died I was looking for
ways of measuring DC current without adding resistance and I came up short,
suggestions would be appreciated. On a side note, when I worked for an ISO
company we had all of our instruments calibrated. The unfused 10A current
measuring capability of most multimeters was often very far off, but maybe
it was just a fluke (pun intended: Fluke meters).