CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gecko Vampire drive

on 2004-01-01 22:09:47 UTC
Yeah, well what ever. I know you from the other group you hang out
in. Enough said.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ibewgypsie"
<ibewgypsie@h...> wrote:
> Better heat sink clamping? Pretty good drive but I have "killed" a
few
> of the 201's. I do not own any at this time.
>
> David Cofer
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mariss Freimanis"
> <mariss92705@y...> wrote:
> > Due to recent events, the "bullet-proof" G201 has been renamed
G204V
> > and moved up to the front burner on the development stove.
Vampires
> > are very hard to kill, the G204V will be very hard to kill,
therefore
> > the name change. It will be the same size and pinout as the G201
but
> > will incorporate the following improvements:
> >
> > 1) Radically different switching topology. The motor will be
stone-
> > cold while stopped or turning slowly. Overdrive ratios of 80:1
will
> > be possible. The switching topology synthesises the best of
> > circulating and non-recirculating techniques within a single
> > switching cycle.
> >
> > 2) Short Circuit protection. Miswire a motor, short the motor
leads,
> > have a bad (shorted) motor, it won't care. The Gecko Vampire
will
> > simply light the Fault output (previously the Enable terminal).
You
> > clear the problem, reset it, and it takes off again.
> >
> > 3) Load dump. You are decelerating a large motor carring a heavy
> > inertial load rapidly from a high speed. Energy is being
extracted to
> > stop the load and must be dissipated. No problem, the on-board
energy
> > dump circuit will safely shunt it to ground.
> >
> > 4) Thermal shutdown. Forgot to use one or have undersized the
> > heatsink? No problem. The Gecko Vampire will light the Fault LED
when
> > things get too hot and will go into protective shutdown. Once
things
> > cool off it'll be ready to try again.
> >
> > 5) Motor connect/disconnect protection. You have a crappy motor
> > connector or you forget to shut the power off before
> > connecting/disconnecting the motor? Again, no problem. If the
Vampire
> > drive doesn't like what you just did it will light the Fault LED
and
> > wait until you get your act together:-)
> >
> > 6) G201 or G210? Both will be incorporated in the Vampire.
Microstep,
> > half-step, full-step, your choice. The jumpers will be available
> > without taking the cover off.
> >
> > 7) No Caps, no Zeners need apply. The Gecko Vampire uses a
completly
> > new power section circuit that balances the circulating currents
with
> > almost no current ripple at all. This means no external "helper"
> > parts will be needed. Hook it up to your supply and it's ready to
go.

> > 8) You still managed to blow it up? People are creative and
someone
> > will be a Vampire Slayer. It will not stand up to someone
applying
> > 115VAC to it for instance. For those special lucky (or unlucky)
few,
> > all will not be completely lost. The G204V is a two-board design.
> > With effort, you may be able to blow up the main power section.
The
> > second board will survive, making your loss considerably less
than
> > 100%.
> >
> > 9) When, how much? Basically don't ask right now. The when part
will
> > probably be between next spring and summer. The cost is the last
> > thing that's figured after everything else is done and working.
The
> > price won't be that much more than a G210 though. Otherwise there
is
> > no point in doing it; it has to be affordable.
> >
> > 10) Protection. It will be necessary to protect it by copyrights,
> > patents, circut techniques and other means. As I have sadly
> > discovered, not everyone is honest. I am lucky that I have good
> > ideas, but I don't have them often enough that I don't mourn when
> > someone steals one.
> >
> > Looking at the whole thing quixotically, the system is really set
up
> > to produce the best for everyone. The stupid steal from the
smart,
> > the smart in turn come up with something better to shake off the
> > stupid. In the ensuing process everyone benefits.
> >
> > Until this little matter happened to me, there was no reason to
come
> > up with a better drive even though I had designed a far better
one.
> > See what I mean?
> >
> > Mariss

Discussion Thread

Mariss Freimanis 2004-01-01 17:23:39 UTC Gecko Vampire drive ibewgypsie 2004-01-01 19:51:50 UTC Re: Gecko Vampire drive Mariss Freimanis 2004-01-01 22:09:47 UTC Re: Gecko Vampire drive ibewgypsie 2004-01-04 00:15:26 UTC Re: Gecko Vampire drive