CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 441

on 2000-04-07 19:59:51 UTC
Patrick Huss wrote:

> Message: 20
> Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:44:28 EDT
> From: Lngknife29@...
> Subject: Re: marble and granite
>
> most marble is the same hardness as quartz--that is if it hasnt weathered
> too
> badly-
> and thats a little harder than glass
>
> I don't want to start a flame thing, or anything like that but I must
> disagree with this. Marble is never as hard as quartz. Many marbles will
> have some deposits of quartz, and, trust me, you know when you found them by
> the damage they do to your tools(especially when carving marble).
>
> hardness by mohs scale: marble=3 , granite=5 , quartz=7 , diamond=10
>
> Patrick

Well, I put the marble tile on my machine and ran a carbide
1/2 round engraving bit through it a few times. Seems to cut
pretty easy from the little I have seen so far. I have no idea
as to what type of marble this is, or if it is even marble at
all. It is a floor tile, not ceramic, but some kind of stone.

I got a couple of very small chips in a couple of spots,
but you can hardly see them. I need to get a different size
tool, Monday, so I will let you know the results then.

Patrick, since you have done this before, how are the machined
areas polished when you're finished cutting?

Bill

Discussion Thread

Patrick Huss 2000-04-07 18:03:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 441 Jerome Kimberlin 2000-04-07 18:48:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 441 William Scalione 2000-04-07 19:59:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 441