CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linefeeds.

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-04-08 01:51:49 UTC
It would perhaps be helpful if those who are transgressing could be
identified as they may not be aware of the problem. Some mail readers
automatically wrap long lines when they are recieved and so, if people are
using these, they will not know that they are causing offence as, even
though they get a copy of their own message, it will be wrapped and look OK
to them. For those using Outlook Express it may be worth you just checking
in 'Tools, Options, Send' that under 'Mail Sending Options' Plain Text is
checked and then hit the 'Plain Text Options' button and check that the
'wrap text after' box has around 75 in it.
In Netscape look in 'Edit, Preferences, Mail and Newsgroups, Messages' and
see that the 'message wrapping' section has the 'wrap incoming messages to
window width' box is checked and that the 'wrap outgoing messages to' box
has about 72 in it. This should cause the least offence as these are
probably the most used programs.
Conversely to this problem, I get frustrated by messages which are peppered
with CR/LFs and, when you want to print them out, produce only a slim column
down the left side of eack page and use reams of paper. This, of course, is
one of the problems of the Internet - so many different modes of access that
it is impossible to achieve a universally acceptable standard, however, for
this very reason, some tolerance is needed and everyone should check their
own systems carefully before criticising others as there is often a solution
to the problem lurking somewhere in your own box.

Ian

--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK