CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Transformer sizing

Posted by bolttjza
on 2004-01-14 03:20:47 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> Hi Jon

Thanks for the input. Yes, the drives are Rutex. I will do the
mechanical calculation as you sugested and I will install a 2KVA
transformer.

Craig

> bolttjza wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I need some help in sizing a power supply for a Bridgeport series
> >1/EMC conversion. I will be driving each axis with 140V SEM PMDC
> >servo motor of which the stall current is 26A. The drive powering
> >these motors are capable of supplying 100V @ 20A. I will drive a
5mm
> >pitch ball screw thourgh 2:1 reduction ratio. What VA transformer
> >should I purchase? Am I ever likley to use 100V @ 20A? Should the
> >reduction ratio be bigger ie 3:1 or 4:1?
> >

> First, you need to get the torque/Amp constant (Kt) for your motor.
> Figuring the desired linear force on the table back through the
ballscrew
> and belt drive, you can figure out the torque you need, and then the
> drive ratio that is most appropriate. Then, check the top rapid
feed rate
> you want, and make sure the motor speed at 100 V will reach that.
>
> Sounds like you'll be using Rutex drives?
>
> Note that these motors are really strong, if you apply 26 A it may
break
> belts even 3/4" wide! So, check the specs on the belts you plan to
use
> to make sure you stay within their ratings. Keep in mind that these
> belts need to be kept REAL tight to prevent creep, and add the
tension
> to the motor force.
>
> As for the transformer, it is very unlikely you will ever run 100 V
and
> 20 A through the motor at the same time, except for a very short
instant
> when accelerating. But, when all 3 motors are accelerating at the
same
> time, the power draw will be substatial. Note that PWM servo drives
> are switching power supplies, and so power in roughly equals power
out.
> So, if the drive is delivering 20 A at 5 V out, it will only need
100 W
> at the input (plus losses) and so will only draw 1 A from the power
supply!

> A 1 KVA transformer soulds like a good minimum. You could
> probably go to 1.5 or even 2 KVA. There is no reason to go above
> that, however, for a milling machine. Even though the theoretical
> power draw could be 6 KVA (100V x 20A x 3 axes) you just never
> do that except for instantaneous surges . Make sure there is plenty
> of filter capacitor for energy storage, and that the rectifiers are
> sufficient. I might go with 50 A diodes for this.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

bolttjza 2004-01-13 06:50:56 UTC Transformer sizing Jon Elson 2004-01-13 08:52:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformer sizing Robb Greathouse 2004-01-13 12:25:42 UTC Lasers - its the cheese bolttjza 2004-01-14 03:20:47 UTC Re: Transformer sizing