CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: sizing question

on 2004-01-14 22:07:18 UTC
Use a BIG heat sink maybe a cold plate. Often, things don't blow up,
they just cook to a nice overdone. :)

Thanks
Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jlsmith269"
<jlsmith269@y...> wrote:
> Jon,
> thanks... I am going to TRY to refit a CNC with a bad control,
and I
> shouldn't need all the power, as it won't be industrial.. but I did
> want to know if I would just "blow up" geckos
>
> jeffe
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...>
wrote:

> > jlsmith269 wrote:
> >
> > >okay... I know geckos can drive goodly sized servos, BUT
> > >
> > >what if, for instance, you want to drive a 1.5hp dc servo, that
may
> > >very well be -48v or 110v dc, at 10 amps?
> > >
> > >(this is a generic retro fit question, btw, for a cnc machine,
not
> BP)
> > >
> > >I am wondering what we would do for these larger machines...
that
> have
> > >a large amp requirement.
> > >
> > >Can the geckos handle this much juice?
> > >

> > The Gecko 320 and 340 can deliver up to 20 A, but only at 80 V.
> > Above that voltage, you need the Rutex or other drive. But,
running
> > at 80 V, all you lose is top speed. That may not be a problem in
> your
> > particular application. You have to calculate out the torque and
> > speed parameters of the particular motor, and combine it with the
> > mechanical setup (leadscrew pitch and drive ratio, if any) to
figure
> > out whether you will get the required performance or not.
> >
> > Jon

Discussion Thread

jlsmith269 2004-01-14 05:48:29 UTC sizing question Jon Elson 2004-01-14 10:34:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] sizing question jlsmith269 2004-01-14 11:57:53 UTC Re: sizing question industrialhobbies 2004-01-14 22:07:18 UTC Re: sizing question