CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Spindle speed control, how does yours work?

Posted by cnczeus
on 2004-01-15 15:19:52 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, John Johnson <johnatl@m...>
wrote:
> I'm working on controlling spindle speed control, input / output
> expansion, and I2C for TurboCNC.
>
> Looking for input on how your spindle speed is controlled.
>
> Is it serial? (baud rate?)
> 0-10v DC? (is it linear? rpms/v ratio?)
> Contact closures?
> Variable resistance?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Regards,
> JJ
>
> ps. I was going to call it Spindle Universal Control Kit / System,
but
> then I realized, that sucks.
>
> pps. Excuse the post to two groups.

I use serial at 38400 to directly control the VFD and return the
drives load and frequency information for display. Serial control is
easy to implement and requires only a few commands to operate the
drive and with only 6-10 updates per second the status display
overhead is minimal. Most VFD's support serial communication but
with
some the option can be as expensive as the drive itself. The GS2
series VFDs from automationdirect.com are reasonably priced and
support RS232 directly from a PC port where others may require a TTL
5v logic interface.
The drive can also be setup by parameters and wired for external
emergency stop if required even if operating from the serial
interface.
I have used this setup now for about 2 years now without problems
and must say it is a must have for tapping holes.

Jeff

Discussion Thread

John Johnson 2004-01-15 11:28:03 UTC Spindle speed control, how does yours work? cnczeus 2004-01-15 15:19:52 UTC Re: Spindle speed control, how does yours work? Peter Homann 2004-01-15 18:08:48 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Spindle speed control, how does yours work?