CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transfer BallNut to new Screw?

Todd Meidinger wrote:

>I know very little about the mechaics of ball screw and ball nuts.
>
>I know enough to NOT remove the nut from the screw and thats about
>it.
>
>My question is, can I transfer a ball nut from one screw to a new
>screw? How is this done without loosing my marbles (balls) or
>rendring the ball nut useless?

You need a mandrel. Make or find a tube that matches the minor diameter
of the ballscrew. Sometimes a ballpoint pen part or some similar piece
can be found that is the right size, or turn it from any handy material.
In a real pinch, rolled-up card stock can do it. Wind the nut to the
end of the screw, and press the tube in following the end of the screw
as it disappears into the nut. If the end of the screw is turned down,
the tube needs to fit over the reduced diameter of the screw unless that
diameter also equals the minor diameter. The tube holds the balls in
their tracks. Reverse the procedure and the screw will push the tube
out ahead of it.

This procedure can also be used to reload a ballnut when the balls have
fallen out, or the balls need to be replaced.

Todd Meidinger 2004-01-15 13:23:08 UTC Transfer BallNut to new Screw? Torsten 2004-01-15 14:30:47 UTC Re: Transfer BallNut to new Screw? industrialhobbies 2004-01-15 15:54:44 UTC Re: Transfer BallNut to new Screw? Jon Elson 2004-01-15 21:43:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transfer BallNut to new Screw? ballendo 2004-01-16 09:07:04 UTC Re: Transfer BallNut to new Screw?