CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with comunication RS232 to RS-244-A

Yesamazza@... wrote:

>HI
> I have an old CNC lathe with a Yasnac 2000G controller. The lathe works
>well and I can write programs manually with the key pad. I would like to send
>and receive programs into its memory through its Tape reader port (DB25). It
>has a 4k character electronic memory but the communication port is for a tape
>reader and uses all 25 pins of a 25pin connector is there a translator I can
>use to send RS232 to a EIA RS-244-A or ISO R840 ?. I would assume that RS-232
>is serial and RS-244 is parallel bit transfer is this correct? What are these
>standards and are there programs that I can configure to send info like the
>tape reader would? What are my options? I have a tape reader/puncher also but
>of course would like to eliminate its use. Any info Links ect greatly
>appreciated.

What you need is a "BTR" behind the reader. There have been many
versions of these
made at various price levels. Note that RS244 is just the character
codes used
on the paper tape, also known as EIA code, and it predates the ASCII
character
codes we all use, like on the net.

RS244 is neither serial or parallel, then, but just a way to code
characters into
6-bit bytes.

I see some mention of RS-408 in documents on my Allen-Bradley CNC control.

Anyway, search the web for BTR, and you should find some useful info.
Note that the signals are not strictly TTL voltage levels in many controls.
I have heard of people connecting a custom cable from a PC's printer
port to make a BTR. I'm not too sure how reliable that might be.
I made up a BTR myself, and was able to read paper
tapes in through the reader to the PC, then edit them and send them from
the PC to the Allen-Bradley 7320 control.

Yesamazza@a... 2004-01-20 19:53:38 UTC Help with comunication RS232 to RS-244-A jlsmith269 2004-01-20 20:17:57 UTC Re: Help with comunication RS232 to RS-244-A Jon Elson 2004-01-20 22:46:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with comunication RS232 to RS-244-A