CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO

Posted by brink905
on 2004-01-22 06:03:10 UTC
Yes I agree that a program would be made to make the moves in CNC but
distance to go comes in very handy when proofing out a program and
making sure all work and tool length offsets are set right. When a
new tool is inserted into the spindle distance to go makes it very
easy to look after the G43H command has been given and see how for Z
has to travel to the top of the part which helps to prevent plunging
tools into the part or table.

The program can be run in simulation to make sure it is correct but
human error in setting work and tool offsets happens. Distance to go
is another tool to help check new programs when they are actually run
on the machine.

The only hobby level software that I have seen with distance to go is
Flashcut so far. Just wanted to find out if EMC had the capability.

Thanks,
Dave Brinkman
Yankton, SD

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> brink905 wrote:
>
> >Does EMC have the capability to show distance-to-go as a DRO
> >readout? The subject has been brought up for Mach 2 but not sure
if
> >it will be implemented.
> >

> No. It might be possible to put that into the GUI, depending on
how much
> other info is available associated with the current move.
>
> My Allen-Bradley 7320 (1978 technology) had buttons that would
replace
> the axis position displays with distance to go, or time to end of
cut, or
> instantaneous following error. I didn't use it much.
>
> Why would you want to use a distance to go function like a DRO when
> you actually have a CNC system? You'd obviously need to program the
> move anyway, so why not let the computer make the move, then?
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

brink905 2004-01-21 18:46:13 UTC EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO Jon Elson 2004-01-21 20:49:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO brink905 2004-01-22 06:03:10 UTC Re: EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO ballendo 2004-01-22 08:28:28 UTC Re: EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO Kim Lux 2004-01-22 08:29:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO Jon Elson 2004-01-22 10:31:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO Jon Elson 2004-01-22 10:32:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Have a Distance-to-go position DRO