CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Digital DC Variable Speed Drive for spindle control

Posted by fiteboss@y...
on 2004-01-26 09:42:23 UTC
First, for a DC drive to run both directions (and to provide braking)
without contactors it must be a regenerative drive.

Step commands are frequency. A normal stepper driver interprets these to
drive a motor. You can drive an inverter or DC drive the same way via a
frequency input (or F to V converter), but they will not have the
positional accuracy that is inherent in a stepper or servo system.

Direction can be thought of as a simple switch, either on or off. Simply
configure one of your digital inputs for CW/CCW operation. Download the
drive manual or the drive configuration software (free!) for an explanation.

---OR---

Run the drive off your serial communications port. Talk to Carotron about
parameters. Be sure to have a failsafe hardwired method of shutting the
drive down in the event of communications errors or failure (this goes for
any system that uses *any* type of communications link).

You cannot use the encoder as it is presently mounted for motor
feedback. Use the tach instead, or move the encoder to the motor
shaft. Tach or encoder feedback will provide 0.01% speed
regulation. Armature feedback will provide 1%, that may be adequate for
your application.

As always, the KISS principle applies.

Don't worry about asking questions!

Bryan Moody