CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: emc help2

Posted by Greg
on 2004-01-30 17:23:08 UTC
Hello,
I do understand where your coming from,I have made custom boards for
machines before and it is an expensive process.
I know you are not making a killing on your unit,but i am looking for
a units that are ready mass produced thusly much cheaper and
available.
Thats why i was thinking of using of the shelf parts and with new
drivers to tie it together,such as the the profibus,devicenet,modbus
equipment.
The only way to make money in electronics is to buy in bulk and sell
in bulk.
BTW have the boards made and drilled in canada,have some low cost
help solder them in ,and mass produce the units.(works)

Oh and if i was going to all the trouble to design boards and software
,i would do what msdi did,since there based on the same core software
at 25000$ a pop

Regards,
Greg

- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> Greg wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I am curious as well,Emc being open source but yet for years being
> >stuck with a few rather expensive boards.
> >
> >I am still not sold on the pc closing the servo loop.
> >Bridgeport used the same system with the ez-trak and dx32 controls
> >with rather high failure rates for a dos control.Hmm i wonder why
> >bridgeport usa is bankrupt.
> >

> Bridgeport's engineers have NEVER understood thermal management.
> This is not "rocket science" with 4 K cryogenics cracking electron-
beam
> welded supermetals. It is just warm semiconductors on heat sinks,
and
> fans or convection. It takes serious effort to predict how hot
things will
> get in advance, that's what prototypes are for. Bridgeport's design
> strategy must have been that if it survives a one month normal test,
> then it is ready to ship. No worst-case tests, high ambient temp
tests,
> accelerated life tests or any of that.
>
> But, from the very first CNC control (BOSS 3 was the first one they
sold,
> so I guess BOSS 1 and 2 didn't last that first month) to the Ez-
Trak, the
> thermal management is pretty awful. Everything runs hot as H**L in
> cramped cabinets, and the parts cook.
>
> This has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether the servo loop is
closed
> by the PC! How can burning up the video monitors have anything to
do
> with the servo scheme?
>
> >Having used a lot of different hardware,Having some new drivers
would
> >break thing open a bit.
> >How about plug and play profibus modules.
> >Let me know what you think.
> >

> If you choose to write the drivers for us, then it will be
supported!
> Go ahead, design a board, buy the parts, get somebody to solder
them in,
> test it, market it, write the software (which is given away as free
on the
> BDI CDroms) and then come back and show us how you can do it
cheaper!
> Everybody says "Oh, they must be making a MINT on that product,
look,
> it is just a couple of chips on a PC board!" But, when you price
all
> this stuff
> out, you find that everything adds a cost, and electronic
components, these
> days, are NOT cheap! The FPGA on my Universal Stepper Controller
> costs $30 each! The cheapest connectors I could find cost $22 for
> the whole board (there are 6 of them). In small quantity the
boards cost
> over $30 each. It all adds up, and then there's labor to assemble
and
> test them.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Greg 2004-01-28 22:12:44 UTC emc help2 jmkasunich 2004-01-29 06:15:15 UTC Re: emc help2 Paul 2004-01-29 09:25:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help2 Thomas Fritz 2004-01-29 09:29:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc help2 jackw19x 2004-01-29 13:00:44 UTC Re: emc help2 Greg 2004-01-29 20:31:37 UTC Re: emc help2 Greg 2004-01-29 21:17:20 UTC Re: emc help2 Jon Elson 2004-01-30 09:48:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help2 jackw19x 2004-01-30 16:49:08 UTC Re: emc help2 Greg 2004-01-30 17:23:08 UTC Re: emc help2 Jon Elson 2004-01-30 20:34:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help2 james_cullins@s... 2004-01-31 05:33:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help2 jmkasunich 2004-02-02 06:26:46 UTC Re: emc help2