CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: DRO - 500 cpi linear scales now available from US Digital

Posted by Lester Caine
on 2004-02-04 10:50:52 UTC
Ken Jenkins wrote:
> I got an update from U.S. Digital recently. They now have a 500 cpi
> linear scale which works with their EM1 HEDS unit. In quadrature
> that should give resolutions of .0005 for those of you interested
> in rolling your own DRO. Because of the lack of hi-res linear
> strips, people had been using a mechanical solution (pulleys
> and wire) to drive a rotary disk. The linear strip represents
> a much more straight forward and probably more stable approach.
> USD advises that their customers generally clamp the strip between
> two pieces of metal for mounting.
>
> www.usdigital.com
>
> I have calculated I should be able to built a 3-axis scale for
> my mill for @#260.00 (not counting an old piece to run the software).
> That ain't too bad.
>
> Has anyone worked with these strips or the lower res ones?

We have been working up to a bulk order on the shumatech
list. The DRO350 new dongle is designed to handle this type
of encoder but the doubling of the price had annoyed people :)