CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Jerrys Power Supply.pdf

Posted by John Johnson
on 2004-02-10 09:56:18 UTC
Hm, frequent topic on here (how big should the supply be).

I believe the consensus is

(motor plate current * 2) * 0.667

if you are using a bipolar chopper drive (such as a Gecko). The * 2 is
because there are (up to) two windings on at a time. Others will pounce
if this is incorrect / subject to discussion.

Voltage can be up to the rated voltage of the drive, minus a fear
factor (10%?).

The capacitor for the supply should be

(80 000 * current in amps) / voltage

So for the 48v @ 10 amp supply, that would be about 16 000.

Note too that capacitors in parallel add the capacitance (in Farads),
and capacitors in series add their voltage. In other words, if you find
two cheap 63v @ 8 000 uF capacitors and connect them in parallel, it's
the same as an expensive 63v @ 16 000 cap.

You also need a resistor across the supply to bleed off the capacitor's
charge. You can use a resistor between 500 and 1 000 ohms at 10 watts.

Regards,
JJ

On Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004, at 12:15 US/Eastern, machinist24540 wrote:

> Thanks, John.
> Do you think that would pull all 3 (1150 oz-in) steppers
> simultaneously?
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, John Johnson <johnatl@m...>
> wrote:
>> The transformers are 10 amps, the rectifier is 12 amps, so the
> weakest
>> link is the transformer.
>>
>> If transformers are connected in series (adding), then voltage out
> is
>> the sum of the voltages. The current is that of the lowest rated
>> transformer. When connecting in parallel, the current is the sum
> of the
>> currents, The voltage of all transformers in parallel should be
> the
>> same, and that will be the output voltage.
>>
>> The schematic doesn't show any fuses. I sprinkle them about
> liberally.
>> One on each input leg of the transformer, one on each output leg
> of the
>> transformer, and one on the DC in for each driver.
>>
>> Regards,
>> JJ
>>
>> On Sunday, Feb 8, 2004, at 20:03 US/Eastern, machinist24540 wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> Can anyone tell me how many amps the power supply in the files
>>> section Jerrys Power Supply.pdf will put out? It is under the
>>> circuits folder.
>>> I am looking to hook up a rotary table that usus a standard
>>> Bridgeport stepper motor.
>>> Also would it power a 3 or 4 motors if I used it to upgrade
>>> my BOSS 3?
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
>>>

>>> Addresses:
>>> FAQ: http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>>> Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>>>
>>> Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> wanliker@a...,
>>> timg@k...
>>> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
>>> [Moderators]
>>> URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
>>>
>>> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>>> If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
>>> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
> reach
>>> it if you have trouble.
>>> http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

> to be
>>> a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
>>> there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>>>
>>> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
> POSTING
>>> THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
> EXCEPTIONS........
>>> bill
>>> List Mom
>>> List Owner
>>>

>>> Yahoo! Groups Links

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [...]

Discussion Thread

machinist24540 2004-02-08 17:03:21 UTC Jerrys Power Supply.pdf John Johnson 2004-02-09 15:14:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Jerrys Power Supply.pdf machinist24540 2004-02-10 09:04:23 UTC Re: Jerrys Power Supply.pdf machinist24540 2004-02-10 09:15:41 UTC Re: Jerrys Power Supply.pdf John Johnson 2004-02-10 09:56:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Jerrys Power Supply.pdf machinist24540 2004-02-22 17:29:01 UTC Re: Jerrys Power Supply.pdf james_cullins@s... 2004-02-22 19:42:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Jerrys Power Supply.pdf