CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DRO question (DRO kit verses an off the shelf product)

Posted by metlmunchr
on 2004-02-13 14:41:22 UTC
If the compound is set 30 degrees off of purpendicular to the Z
axis, as is typical for threading, then the infeed is a cosine
function (adjacent over hypoteneuse) or about .866 times the
compound infeed. To make the crossfeed equal to half the compound
infeed, you would need to set the compound angle at 60 degrees away
from purpendicular to the Z axis.

P.S. There seems to be some confusion from time to time as to lathe
axis conventions. Crossfeed is X. Longitudinal (carriage) feed is
Z. Other axis nomenclatures such as Y, C, etc are generally only
used on lathes with live tooling and chuck indexing capability to
provide milling functions on these specialized turning centers.
It's good to think in terms of X and Z even on a manual lathe,
because if you ever CNC a lathe, that's the conventions any lathe
CAM program is going to use in generating the code.

Cliff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, rvds@s... wrote:
> If your scale for Z axis is on the compound and you leave your
compound at 30
> degrees as we used to for threading, the sin of 30 is .5 so that
you will read as
> diameter rather than radius if you advance the compound. You must
remember to
> compensate your X readout "0" each time you extend the compound.
> Rob

Discussion Thread

Terry Owens 2004-02-13 08:03:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DRO question (DRO kit verses an off the shelf product) rvds@s... 2004-02-13 11:45:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DRO question (DRO kit verses an off the shelf product) metlmunchr 2004-02-13 14:41:22 UTC Re: DRO question (DRO kit verses an off the shelf product)