CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what would you feed this motor?

Posted by Ron Thompson
on 2004-02-15 21:11:31 UTC
How many wires?

Ron Thompson
Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast,
Now On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is
to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
----- Original Message -----
From: Roy J. Tellason
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 10:58 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what would you feed this motor?

Got this motor sitting here, one of a bunch I have sitting around, and I
thought it'd make a good one to start experimenting with. It's one of the
bigger steppers in the box. Unfortunately it's not marked with as much info
as I'd like. The number "44A501711-001" in google got me to some sites that
wanted to sell me one for $45, telling me it was a paper feed or carriage
motor for a Genicom printer. The other number, "Type" PJ55F1-41B didn't get
me anything but shortening that some got me to a rather interesting site,
listing bunches of stuff at www.e-gizmo.com/STEPPER.htm. Unfortunately no
specs...

The only spec on the nameplate is under "Ohm/Phase" where it says "1". So
what would you feed this thing? I'm guessing I probably won't go too far
wrong starting out with a 5V or 12V supply, and seeing how things act from
there. Maybe if I'm lucky I can dig some specs out of a service manual, or
something...

Physically it's about 2-1/4" in diameter, and about the same in height,
mounted on a plate with rubber bushings and a ground strap. The shaft has a
gear on it, 24 or 25 teeth, a brass bushing, and what appears to be a
pulley for a toothed belt? The "clicks" you get while turning it are
extremely close together, and using that plus the dot that's on the gear
(timing mark?) leads me to believe this is a 1.8 degree/step motor.

Any of you guys have any recommendations as to what to try with this?

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.