CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what would you feed this motor?

Posted by Ron Thompson
on 2004-02-16 07:19:01 UTC
That is what I was getting at. Since you have ID'd the coils, read the resistance and power appropriately.
I'd start with 5V and no more than one amp. Powering with a 7805 regulator does this without dropping resistors. If the motors become too hot to lay your hand on add some resistance to drop the current.
Steps are hard to see. I taped a bread bag wire tie to the shaft like a second hand on a clock to give a better visual indication of a step as I powered each coil by hand trying to figure the relationship of the coils.
These are usually pretty forgiving as long as you don't go nuts with the amperage. Smoke is not a good sign.<GRIN>
I have been down this road a few times and have never found the coil order to matter much, or else I was extremely lucky.
After having said all that, steppers are pretty cheap on ebay. It may be worthwhile to just get some with known ratings.
If you can keep the amperages below an amp or so, they are cheaper to drive.
Good luck!

Ron Thompson
Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast,
Now On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is
to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
----- Original Message -----
From: Roy J. Tellason
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what would you feed this motor?

On Monday 16 February 2004 12:11 am, Ron Thompson wrote:
> How many wires?

Six. I've checked with an ohmmeter and already found which two are the center
taps for those particular windings...

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.