CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Compumotor S Series Drive - Help Required

on 2004-02-22 04:19:35 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "William Scalione"
<wscalione@n...> wrote:

> >Any help welcome Id particularly like to find out how the error is
> >sensed and what I can meaure to test the function of various parts
> >of the drive.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Fred
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> I used to use Compumotor S drives before I switched to servos.
They are
> pretty indestructible so I would double check to make sure that
you don't
> have a problem with your motor. Did you use an ohm meter to figure
out which
> wires go with which windings? What is the resistance of each of the
> windings? Make sure that you check each wire for shorts to the
case also. Do
> you have the motors grounded to the drive connector ground pin? It
is kind
> of important with those drives since they drive the motor with
170V and can
> be a bit dangerous if you don't. Have you tried to substitute
another known
> good motor (preferably another brand if the one in question is not
> compumotor brand motor)? Those drives are still being made today
and cost an
> arm and a leg to buy a new one, but they are really nice as they
have the
> power supply built in and have all kinds of circuit protections
built in.

> Bill
Bill, thanks for your help it stimulated me to have another look at
the motors and boards inside. I found that the link between one of
the interlink pins on the connector and tracks on the circuit board
was broken. This appeared to be the case on both drives. After
repair (a short length of soldered wire) they work fine!

I bought the drives about a year ago and have only now been able to
try to test them. So perhaps a solder joint has gone dry. However
the fact that it happened to both boards is a little freaky!
Particulary as both drives had been repaired buy Compumotor in the
past (main IO FETS replaced by the looks of it). Both drives were
sold "working when removed" so I guess its something during storage.

At least I can now get on with the retrofit without spending more on
drives!

Cheers and thanks for replying

Fred

Discussion Thread

bazer_20002000 2004-02-21 13:08:43 UTC Compumotor S Series Drive - Help Required William Scalione 2004-02-21 22:29:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Compumotor S Series Drive - Help Required bazer_20002000 2004-02-22 04:19:35 UTC Re: Compumotor S Series Drive - Help Required