CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I think I "killed" a Gecko :(

Mike Mueller wrote:

>I think due to my cable mishap* I fried my "Z" axis Gecko G340.

*plugging my servo controller into the serial port instead of the printer port.

This seems unlikely. It is possible, I suppose that the HCPL2351 (I
think that's
the right part #) got so much current that it cooked, but I really doubt
that a
serial port could generate that much current. Most PC serial ports don't
put out enough voltage these days to damage the LED in the optocoupler
by reverse voltage, either.

>X and Y work perfect, I know it's not the motor or the encoder since I swapped out and tested the motor and encoders from the working axis
>Also, the "Z" Gecko will trip with NO motor or encoder hooked up where as the X and Y will not trip when they are not hooked up to the motor or encoder.

Damage to the optocoupler would not cause the axis to trip. And,
presumably,
the only connection between the computer and the Gecko is the step and dir
inputs, whigh go only to the optocoupler.

>I did notice the fuse for Z was blown and I replaced it, no idea why it was blown or when.**

I think you probably had a short on the motor wires. Did the fuse blow
again?
(I'm guessing it didn't, because with a blown fuse, you get no fault light.)

>Any tests I can do with just a DVM??

Yeah, read Ohms between motor power and gnd. I suspect you'll see a VERY
low reading.

>Are these be repaired or am going to have to buy a new one?

Mariss may be willing to repair it for you, even though it is old. He's
pretty
good about that.

Mike Mueller 2004-02-25 22:24:14 UTC I think I "killed" a Gecko :( ibewgypsie 2004-02-26 07:43:33 UTC Re: I think I "killed" a Gecko :( Jon Elson 2004-02-26 10:41:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I think I "killed" a Gecko :( Mike Mueller 2004-02-26 11:39:56 UTC Re: I think I "killed" a Gecko :(