CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I think I "killed" a Gecko :(

Posted by ibewgypsie
on 2004-02-26 07:43:33 UTC
Howdy..

Mariss of GECKODRIVE does repair them. Unless it is too bad. I
think he posted a cost on HSM's board. (45$ but don't hold me to
that) I'd take the cover off if I was you. THey are interesting,
the printed circuit clamps the FET's to the heat sink on the back.
When voltage exceeds the driver circuitry's limit it avalanches the
H-bridge type arrangement on the FETs. If it smells bad, it probably
can't be fixed easily. No way to know unless someone looks inside
thou. I did have success at fixing ONE out of four drives. All
surface mount components.
One unusual thing about them lil drives, they depend on the
anodized layer to insulate one FETs potential to another. If one
transistor lags due to excessive heat and turn on time it'll fry.
I'd email geckodrive, ask Mariss, then send it to him after you
look it over. IF there is a large hole burned in board or excessive
black spots, save your postage and chalk it up to experience.

ONE thing really neat, a old CPU heatsink and fan will cool a
gecko to stop the early death. I killed several on my bridgeport
nema 42 motors. I think Mariss should post a link to the proper one.
Tell him I said HAY..

David Cofer

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mueller"
<mueller914@y...> wrote:
> I think due to my cable mishap* I fried my "Z" axis Gecko G340.
> X and Y work perfect, I know it's not the motor or the encoder
since I swapped out and tested the motor and encoders from the
working axis
> Also, the "Z" Gecko will trip with NO motor or encoder hooked up
where as the X and Y will not trip when they are not hooked up to
the motor or encoder.

> I did notice the fuse for Z was blown and I replaced it, no idea
why it was blown or when.**

> Any tests I can do with just a DVM??
> Are these be repaired or am going to have to buy a new one?
>
> Anyone want to test it for me??? :)
>

> *plugging my servo controller into the serial port instead of the
printer port.

> **controller/cnc not used for about a year
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Discussion Thread

Mike Mueller 2004-02-25 22:24:14 UTC I think I "killed" a Gecko :( ibewgypsie 2004-02-26 07:43:33 UTC Re: I think I "killed" a Gecko :( Jon Elson 2004-02-26 10:41:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I think I "killed" a Gecko :( Mike Mueller 2004-02-26 11:39:56 UTC Re: I think I "killed" a Gecko :(