CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] More VFD questions (was Re: VFD recommendations for Bridgeport...)

Steven Ciciora wrote:

>As long as there has been a lot of VFD questions lately... the last thing
>I need to do to make my series II Bridgeport useable is get the 3 phase
>motor situation under control. I have a home made rotary converter, but
>it's not well assembled (yet). I also have a brand new Baldor BDI1100
>220VAC in single phase 2 HP VFD, and a 4 HP motor on my Bridgeport. What
>would be the problem with using it to run my 4 HP? It has an over current
>fault output (a similar manual but only says 1 HP is located here:
>http://www.baldor.com/pdf/manuals/71100-1296.pdf). Would the 4 HP motor
>have too low of an inductance for the 2 HP VFD?

Yes, that is possible. The makers of VFDs strongly advise against this.
I will also admit I blew up a 1/2 Hp VFD trying to run a 1 Hp Bridgeport
motor.

> If so, what if I wired up
>the 4 HP motor for 440 VAC (the 3 pairs of windings in series rather than
>in parallel) and only ran the frequency to 40 or so Hz for 220VAC
>out? This should have 4 times the inductance then when wound in parallel
>for 220VAC, and keep the volts/hz ratio about correct..

Maybe, but I think you'd get a large power loss above 30 Hz.

> O.K., now here's
>the biggest question: can I run my 4 HP motor in "half winding" mode (think
>8 wire steppers)? I believe this will have the same inductance of a 2 HP
>motor, and would put 220VAC across the half winding, just like it would
>expect to see.

Unlike steppers, induction motors are not designed to be run this way.
If you make one winding carry all the load, it will draw too much
current, and
I think even at only 2 Hp load, it will eventually fry the winding.

> The only problem I can see is what if the two half windings
>per phase were located at different positions, rather than
>overlapping.

They CAN'T be (I think). There are some really odd dual-speed motors
that use
exotic tricks like this to switch between 2 and 4 poles, but I haven't
seen this
done on dual VOLTAGE motors.

Jon Elson 2004-03-12 21:05:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] More VFD questions (was Re: VFD recommendations for Bridgeport...)