CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-04-15 00:51:24 UTC
All this and it still can't do simple wrapping of text messages...... or can
it? I'm rapidly finding out that Unix/Linux can do almost anything - its
just a matter of telling it how.

Ian

--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

----- Original Message -----
From: D.F.S. <dfs@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: 14 April 2000 18:32
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an
interesting idea.

> I must have fallen into a time warp with all this talk about Elm and=20
> Pine - the good old days before graphical interfaces....

Or the current days where people want to read mail from
the road or from work where there is not "Internet" connectivity
by DESIGN not because people don't know how to set it up.

Downloading mail in a batch over 5 minutes and taking the laptop on
the plane for the next 3 hours of reading.

Downloading Email to a Palm Pilot.

Dialing in from the road and being able to get the system to
wotk without all the crap of getting a slip/PPP connection,
Starting super bloated web browers that crash a doxen times a
day, waiting incredible amounts of time because people want to
send HTML encoded emails that consume tons of time, space and
processing power for no reason aside from "Cuteness" and in the
end look like a pasted up ransom note...

A unix shell account, a simple terminal emulator and a
modem is MUCH simpler and a LOT less prone to breakdowns and
failures in dozens of locations from low level TCP functions
to Windows Screens of death.

In the end mailing lists come down to text messages.
Anything more is bloat IMHO.

There are advantages to other mediums, but mixing the two
compromises both.

Marc

Get paid for the stuff you know!
Get answers for the stuff you don't. And get $10 to spend on the site!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2200/2/_/423600/_/955733600/