CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Parallel ports

on 2004-03-19 11:05:46 UTC
On Friday 19 March 2004 11:59 am, Ron wrote:
> >Walk into any computer store and try to buy a motherboard or system
> >that has a pport... Good luck.
>
> Actually most current motherboards still have parallel ports on them.
> I build these machines for industrial control, so I need serial and
> parallel ports.

I would guess that this is still a significant market segment, but probably a
_lot_ smaller than the consumer/office segment, where most of these changes
are happening.

> I just built several machines at work, and considered Abit, Intel,
> Gigabyte, and several other brands. All had PPorts.

It's like ISA slots. I'm seeing them become pretty scarce these days. But I
have a whole pile of ISA boards (mostly networking cards but also some other
stuff as well) that I'd like to use.

Nothing wrong with ISA, either -- it's still faster than most of the
peripherals that connect to it -- but it also means another chip on the MB to
make that happen, and if cheap is what's driving the market, they go away
too.

Discussion Thread

Ron 2004-03-19 10:09:34 UTC Parallel ports sdfine@d... 2004-03-19 10:57:35 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Parallel ports Roy J. Tellason 2004-03-19 11:05:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Parallel ports Mariss Freimanis 2004-03-19 11:36:07 UTC Re: Parallel ports