CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I'd like to compare notes on bridgeport cnc conversion success/failure

on 2004-03-26 12:26:34 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ibewgypsie"
<ibewgypsie@h...> wrote:
> http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/005852.html is
pictures
> of my machine.. It is rusting quietly. I am planning on Flambou
> tractor supply red paint probably this weekend. I need to
straighten
> up the rats-nest quick converted wiring job I did on it. It needs a
> major degreasing before paint. I'll post pictures here when I got
it
> pretty.
>
> My machine cost, inverter $315?, $200? 2kva 220/24+24=48 output
> transformer, $363 Gecko 201's (1st year) $660 Larken Cobra 16 amp
> drives (*Second year ) $200 Bulk opto22 equipment and modules. I
have
> tons of spare parts, The Larken drives are Home repairable with
IC's
> in sockets. Heat sinks are great on them too. I have mine bolted
to a
> piece of 1x1 square stock on the heat sink door on the bridgeport.
>
> The kwik switch tooling, boring bar, indexer, tapamatic head,
computer
> and initial purchase brought the total up to $6,000.. I sold my
> homebuilt Harley Fatboy to purchase it and not regretted it a bit.
>
> My machine with steppers will do 110 ipm, almost as good as it
would
> before I started working on it.. HA.. but no tape drive and now
it's
> single phase. It has made lots of parts. The cabinet is rusty from
all
> the cooling fluid/spray mist I home-concocted for aluminum.
>
> Jon: I need lots of help installing emc for sure.. I am mostly a
Linux
> newbie (one year and no time to fool around).. I got the script
for a
> install, got the Morphix cdrom to boot, not got to try it on my
> machine yet. I did rewire it to match the bridgeportIO arrangement
as
> per docs www.linuxcnc.org . Opto-22 card in ac cabinet is for
second
> port. If I could get it up with Mandrake or redhat, I'd be tickled
> pay someone to set it up, ship them the linux box maybe?... So far
the
> install just lets me reinstall. Linux has taken over the house..
> Redhat 9.0 rules... It works like Windows is supposed to.
>
> I want to hear from other bridgeport boss converters.. I am
thinking
> of upping my 8 amp drive to about 10 amps.. any comments?
>
> Fanciest drill press in Tunnel Hill Georgia.. Hell do I have to
wear
> shoes in the shop?? NO, I got a small beer-fridge right over the
> leblond about 5 feet from the mill... I don't even have to fetch
anymore.

> David Cofer

Hi David, Im just converting an interact myself (early series one).
Interesting to read re Gekos etc. Im using some compumotor S8's on
the X and y and a compumotor 610 on the z axis (2x8 amps (110V power
supply in drive) and 7 amps (DC power supply)). Theres plenty of
cooling and Im using standard BP stepper drives at the moment (P/N
026744). The machine had already been converted to Ahha control so
Im sticking to that drive and software. It should not be to long
before it starts to cut metal (just redoing the main spindle motor
bearings) and like you painting.
Fred

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...>
wrote:

> > ibewgypsie wrote:
> >
> > >I'd like to compare notes on success/failure of home converted
cnc
> > >machines. I have schematics/parts lists/notes of my conversion
if any
> > >are interested. Currently operating with turbocnc.
> > >

> > I did my conversion in 1998, and have been using EMC since 1999.
> > I've made a lot of commercial parts with it. (Oops, now I'm in
trouble
> > with Bill, again!) You can see it at
> > http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/CNCconv.html
> >
> > Jon

Discussion Thread

ibewgypsie 2004-03-24 23:54:11 UTC I'd like to compare notes on bridgeport cnc conversion success/failure Jon Elson 2004-03-25 16:56:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'd like to compare notes on bridgeport cnc conversion success/failure ibewgypsie 2004-03-26 02:05:54 UTC Re: I'd like to compare notes on bridgeport cnc conversion success/failure bazer_20002000 2004-03-26 12:26:34 UTC Re: I'd like to compare notes on bridgeport cnc conversion success/failure