CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: what will i damage?..running 220 1ph into220 3phase transformer?

Posted by Les Newell
on 2004-04-01 04:02:30 UTC
Hi David,

So far I have had no problems with my Geckos at full current and 75V.
They do need reasonable heatsinking though. I used a 300mm x 200mm piece
of 3mm ali plate with all 3 drives on it. There is another thin ali
plate mounted about 20mm away from this plate and a 80mm fan blows air
between the two. It runs slightly warm to the touch.

I easily get 96IPM rapids without losing steps. I have also never
noticed any lost steps while taking heavy cuts.

How have you got your steppers wired up? I noticed a significant
improvement when running the motors with just 2 windings as opposed to
series or parallel.

If servos weren't so expensive I would scrap the steppers as well. I
much prefer servos.

Les