CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Which version of EMC?

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-04-19 05:32:54 UTC
Ward M

You can set up different releases in different directories. I have five
running versions on the same harddrive. Mine are all in /usr/local/nist*
directories. (replace the * with your favorite release nemonic like
/usr/local/nist32000) That's where I place the tar file, extract it and
run ./install. The install program will set up a new file structure below
that directory. This includes the new emc directory that will be your
run-it-from directory.

There are some app_default files that are placed in your X11* directory
structure. As you build multiple installs, the older ones of these may be
overwritten when you install a new distribution. Or they may get trashed
if you ./clean a distribution. You can change these to customize the
appearance of your gui. After I've changed them, I keep a copy of these
files in my home directory and when they get trashed, and emc complains, I
just copy them back.

There is some stuff on this in the handbook at linuxcnc.org under changing
gui appearance.

Ray

>Message: 8 [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 459
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:31:57 -0700
> From: "Ward M." <ward@...>
>Subject: Re: Which version of EMC?
>
>Thanks Tim, I'll install it tonight. To install different versions, do you
>install one over another, or create a new directory tree for it?
>
>Ward M.
>
>ward@...

Discussion Thread

Ward M. 2000-04-18 19:57:41 UTC Which version of EMC? Tim Goldstein 2000-04-18 21:54:44 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which version of EMC? Ray Henry 2000-04-19 05:32:54 UTC Re: Which version of EMC?