CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: linuxcnc.org BDI-LIVE_rc37 , WOW it works / Joystick?

Posted by ibewgypsie
on 2004-04-07 08:16:58 UTC
Howdy..

Only improvement I could see, is a joystick interface. I have been
playing with joysticks, got a program that runs in visual basic
(windows) that works. Got about 50 versions floating around too..

JOYSTICKS, I have been through several, Most run with windows
drivers, Most are trash, I have tried several including MakoPad
gamepad (gameport model) Microsoft Sidewinder (#2 best) but it has
buttons you can't get without directX, several cheap, JUNK models and
recently SONY Playstation 2 controller with SMART-JOY usb adapter.
Windows sees it as another usb joystick and it has drivers on disk.

IT is by far the most controllable, the most steady signal output.
They have a CPU onboard the gamepad, digital and analog output and
plenty of buttons. I wonder if Linux can read-write in C++ to the
windows driver thou? ANy clues? I can program in VB, haven't learned
C++ very well yet thou.

With a disabled person, or, Just a simple milling job the hand
manual controls rule. My buddy who passed away always wanted to use
my 2hp "dremel" but didn't have a clue about gcode or programming.

Some windows based programs have joystick interfaces. That would
be by far the best deal for them. A two joystick hand pendant for
$25. Make sure you purchase the real SONY gamepad thou, the other
brands are Junk. Noisy.. I think by far this is the most common real
good controller in the world.. I was surprised the pots inside the
sony one are so good. It takes a directX/driver call to get at all
the buttons thou. Joystick gives a 0-255 return on positions. Clean
signal too.

I have a hand drawn schematic for a "totally manual" way to use a
arcade type stick and parallel port switch and 556 (dual 555) timer
to run geckos/pulse drives too. THOSE switches have cherry type
microswitch limits inside you could wire direct. That'd give you a
method for speed, pulse width adjust and stick-dry contacts for
direction/step. That'd be great, but more trouble than using a Analog
joystick.

YOU could use a bridgeport cnc without a computer. Direct pulses for
the drives.

David

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Paul <no.spam27@n...> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Glad you liked it so much, it will certainly please the original
authors over
> in Gaithersburg, MD (I believe it is still part of the USA).. ;-)
>
> One feature that you may like is the copy/ dir on the CD - Place an
ini file
> in the subtree and it will get copied across to the live system
when running
> from the CD. Some info on this is in the read me.
> It is possible to add any number of files (data or binaries) to the
CD and
> have them "appear" on the Live system - A word of caution. Don't
abuse it as
> it eats memory !
>
> If you want to know more about customising the CD, pin me down at
NAMES for
> an impromptu presentation.
>
> Regards, Paul.
>

> On Wednesday 07 April 2004 1:18 pm, ibewgypsie wrote:
> > I had someone tell me EMC looked like a black hole everyone
wastes time
> > into. Written by the old Russians to ruin american production.
> >
> > It looks like it works great now, I can't wait to get it moved to
the shop.

> --
> irc channel for EMC users at irc.freenode.org
> /join #emc
> and chat to other users (not many there yet).

Discussion Thread

ibewgypsie 2004-04-07 05:32:41 UTC linuxcnc.org BDI-LIVE_rc37 , WOW it works Paul 2004-04-07 06:46:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linuxcnc.org BDI-LIVE_rc37 , WOW it works ibewgypsie 2004-04-07 08:16:58 UTC Re: linuxcnc.org BDI-LIVE_rc37 , WOW it works / Joystick? k8zre 2004-04-08 08:53:40 UTC Re: linuxcnc.org BDI-LIVE_rc37 , WOW it works Jon Elson 2004-04-08 16:04:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: linuxcnc.org BDI-LIVE_rc37 , WOW it works ibewgypsie 2004-04-09 02:10:43 UTC BDI-LIVE_rc37 /question 4 Jon.. Paul 2004-04-09 04:37:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE_rc37 /question 4