CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Defiance VTX-1 VMC?

on 2004-04-15 14:11:00 UTC
Thanks alot for the great info. The Machine I am looking at was
built late 99, It seems to be similar to what you are describing
except it has a tool changer, and has a pc based controller. It is
on eBay right now, and it looks like it's going to end at about 8-
9k. He claims less than 10 hours on the machine. Do you think that
is a good price for such a machine? What did you pay for yours?

Thanks

here is the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=3808868874&category=58252&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%
3AIT&rd=1

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Marcus and Eva"
<implmex@a...> wrote:
> Hi Pizzaface:
> I own a Defiance VTX1.
> I bought it in 1999.
> It is an earlier model with the Bridgeport DX32 control, not the
later
> Creative Evolution control.
> Here's my two cents' worth:
> The basic machine construction is OK with these caveats:
> - the head was not perpendicular to the table in either plane, and
needed to
> be refitted.
> - the tee slots are not parallel to the x axiz motion
> - the table is a hot rolled mild steel plate about 1 1/2" thick and
has
> curled 0.0007" in "X".
> - the machine is lightly built with 5/8" ballscrews and teeny linear
> bearings
> - the spindle is very simple in design, more like a router than a
heavy duty
> mill, but it does 10K all day and has been totally trouble free.
> - the pneumatic collet clamp mechanism needed to be rebuilt.
> The machine controller is easy to learn and use, and has lots of
nice
> functions like macro programming and full variable programming.
> It uses some goofy proprietary G codes that you'll need to learn.
> The controller is notorious though, for its inability to handle
acceleration
> and deceleration properly on short linear moves at high feedrates.
> This makes the machine hop around like a machine gun when you are
doing
> surfacing of convoluted shapes with lots of direction changes.
> The result is poor finish and accuracy, and an inability to do high
speed
> machining of hardened steel without trashing a lot of cutters.
> This is purely a DX32 controller problem, and Bridgeport was sued
over this
> defect in a class action suit some years ago.
> Defiance later switched to the Creative Evolution control which was
reported
> to be excellent.
> My machine came with no toolchanger, and although one was promised
by
> Defiance, I'm not sure if one was ever actually produced.
>
> On to my use experience:
> I bought the machine to do a contract I'd won for developing an
insect
> habitat for the space station.
> I have milled literally mountains of Delrin on the machine, and,
once its
> defects were corrected, it performed like a champ.
> It is lightly built, but I have nonetheless used it to mill
hardened A2 at
> 62 Rockwell C; this with a 1/2" cutter milling a 2" deep pocket, and
> although it didn't like it, it did it!!
> I can take a cut of 0.050" in aircraft aluminum with a 4 flute 1/2"
cutter
> at 5000 RPM and 30"/min without problems.
> [...]

Discussion Thread

pizzafacepizzaface 2004-04-15 07:03:17 UTC Defiance VTX-1 VMC? Marcus and Eva 2004-04-15 08:07:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Defiance VTX-1 VMC? pizzafacepizzaface 2004-04-15 14:11:00 UTC Re: Defiance VTX-1 VMC? vavaroutsos 2004-04-15 18:09:19 UTC Re: Defiance VTX-1 VMC? Marcus 2004-04-15 18:46:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Defiance VTX-1 VMC?