CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Grizzly minimill

Posted by James Cullins
on 2000-04-20 06:27:14 UTC
Do you have there URL?
Jim
----- Original Message -----
From: <fogassa@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 12:49 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Grizzly minimill

> Hi All!
> Thanks for aswer my questions about the minimill!
> Sold my sherline about 3 weeks ago,and just got the minimill from
> grizzly,boy... get to tell you,this baby rocks! it dwarfs sherline!
> and more important,I can put cheap ballscrews on it. ok,let's talk
> about the first day with it.
> Ordered on monday,received on wednesday aftenoon(talking about fast
> shipping hey!)i've also ordered the baby milling vise but it's on
> back order.
> after allmost break my back to carry it to the 2fl.(by myself ,I'm
> not that strong!)started to go through the usual check list just to
> find out that the handles from the wheels where missing,e-mailed
> grizzly,and they say it is on back order and will ship it when they
> get it.it came with; two collets(3/8,and 1/2")drill chuck,and all
> wrenchs necessary.Something good;the z axis extrussion is made of
> steel not aluminum as I thought.
> Now, the bad news;For those who will use the machine manualy,there
> will be a lot work to tune it! and fix what I call a semi finished
> machine.(but,still a lot cheap than other top ends minimills.)
> 1- they have changed how the nuts are fixed on x,y axis(now,they
> seat on two pockets and are held only by one screw.(almost floating,)
> 2- the fine feed colar(z axis) is graduated in 0.002" but turn it 5
> divisions and it's printed 5 not 10 as it should(maybe they've got it
> from a lathe.)
> 3- griding on the ways is not that nice(,exept for the collun)
> 4- The fine feed (z axis) has a lot of backlash, by the graduations
> printed on the dial 0.02".
> As I'm going to retrofit it to cnc and replace the lead screws by
> ballscrews that's not a problem!
> I believe that,if they improve the way the lead screws and nuts are
> fixed, and big mistakes like the way the dials missmatches the lead
> than it will well worth the money.(GRIZZLY....DO YOU HEAR ME!!!!!!)
> For now,I'm happy with it(very happy)But,can't speak for those that
> are going to do it manualy, so , it fits the bill!!!
>
> 'till the first cut(First need upgrade it to ballscrews :-)
> Any recomendation on what else to fix or check?

> Enjoy the award-winning journalism of The New York Times with
> convenient home delivery. And for a limited time, get 50% off for the
> first 8 weeks by subscribing. Pay by credit card and receive an
> additional 4 weeks at this low introductory rate.
> List Manager

Discussion Thread

Fung Chen 2000-04-19 23:02:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Grizzly minimill James Cullins 2000-04-20 06:27:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Grizzly minimill fogassa@p... 2000-04-20 06:47:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Grizzly minimill Glen Benson 2000-04-20 14:22:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Grizzly minimill Fung Chen 2000-04-20 15:43:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Grizzly minimill