CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gearhead Servos

Alan Rothenbush wrote:

>Been away for a while ...
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts on gearhead servo motors ?
>
>They seem to be quite common and cheap enough (in the 5:1 range), but
>I'm wondering about gear lash presenting problems.
>
>Any thoughts ?

There are several systems for producing gear drives with no
backlash. But, without using one of these methods, there will be
gear lash. Some gear motors have very low backlash, some are quite
awful! You can usually feel the backlash by just turning the output
shaft. (Of course, you can't do that on an eBay special.)

In general, I would avoid gears unless you specifically know this
is a low-backlash reducer. Belts work great, however.

Alan Rothenbush 2004-04-30 08:49:25 UTC Gearhead Servos Jon Elson 2004-05-01 00:20:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gearhead Servos